Thursday, April 12, 2012

Let me introduce myself...

I'm Steven Heddle, aged 47, born and brought up in Kirkwall and a former pupil of Papdale Primary and Kirkwall Grammar Schools. I left Orkney to go to University in 1983 and graduated from Aberdeen University in 1987 with a BSc Hons (First Class) in Physics, and Edinburgh University in 1993 with a PhD in Physics for research done as part of the Applied Optics Group.

After longer than I expected, the opportunity arose to return to Orkney with my family in 1999 and I started my own business, Steven Heddle Consultancy, initially carrying out contract research for the UK Astronomy Technology Centre and later diversifying into IT support and advice. This latter role was of great benefit whilst employed by Orkney Enterprise (OE) as e-business adviser, and I still carry out work for OE's successor, HIE Orkney, and other development agencies on a regular basis as a SFEDI accredited business adviser, as well as a diverse range of consultancy activities for private businesses.

Since returning I have been a member of the Kirkwall Community Council and Orkney College Management Council for four years, and spent almost 6 years on the Papdale School Board which included helping lead a successful campaign to attract £3.5 million to refurbish and extend the school.

As an e-business adviser for Orkney Enterprise/HIE Orkney (as both an employee and consultant) I advised hundreds of Orkney businesses and OE/HIE Orkney itself, on IT, e-commerce and telecoms issues, and developed projects such as Orkneycommunities.co.uk and the Orkney Business Directory and Access Guide. I'm also the webmaster of Orkneycommunities.co.uk, and look after the highly popular Orkney Image Library. Over the last couple of years I've developed my own local news project, AllAboutOrkney.com.

Interests include music, cycling, football, snooker, photography and sailing. I'm married with one son, who is just about to sit his Standard Grades.

For the last 5 years I've been one of the four councillors for the Kirkwall East ward. I think I've achieved more than most over that time, and will hopefully say enough to let you make up your own mind in posts to come!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really appreciate your activity on the web!!Crucial on today's world!