Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Beuy beuy beuy

Fancy a sociological discourse on the rise of social media and the decline of conventional blogging?

Might be appropriate given the absence of posting here, which is attributable to me starting up http://www.allaboutorkney.com , which I could have used as a mouthpiece but instead try to keep impartial (as that's the kind of guy I am), and me becoming a user of Facebook.

In the coming election Facebook looks like being where it is at, like it or not. Radio Orkney's Facebook page is the source of breaking news and occasional debate, and I try to contribute to the debates there already when I can, concentrating on being factual and honest rather than sparring. In 20+ years of academic and commercial computing I've seen too many trolls and flame wars to let my blood pressure rise at things people say and would probably regret if they thought about it.

I enjoy keeping up with my pals through Facebook, so have realised that bringing the council side of things into that would be inappropriate. With that in mind I've recently restricted access to my posts for non-friends (in a Facebook sense) and set up a Facebook page entitled Steven Heddle Kirkwall East for council matters and the forthcoming election campaign. I hope you will have a look at this and keep in touch with what is posted there.

I'll see if I can get a Facebook widget from that page here.

Update: It's here now, on the right

No comments: