Friday, February 20, 2009

Trivial interlude

Just to check if anybody reads this (or if anybody can read it), what do you think of the font used on this site?

It's used because it is actually derived from my own handwriting, and the aim is to personalise things a bit. And give the graphologists a field day. Or garphologits as I typed first, as the house is so cold I can hardly feel my hands.

But I realise that even though it turned out better than my usual writing it tends to be a bit small, and flies in the face of accessibility. So if the people speak out against it, I'll switch back to Trebuchet MS or Verdana.

However if you want to create your own font, nip along to http://www.fontifier.com/. To get it on a website you'll need to use WEFT to create an EOT file that you will reference, with exclusions to stop others using your font (and bandwidth). Further advice at reasonable rates from Steven Heddle Consultancy...

[Further update: Sue comments below that a free service is available at http://www.yourfonts.com, and it looks even better than Fontifier!]

3 comments:

Sue said...

I made a font of my handwriting two weeks ago through yourfonts.com and I enjoy it every day. I can't see your font in Firefox, but I just opened IE, and that revealed your font. It looks great although the size is indeed a bit too small.

Sian said...

Looked huge to me - then I realised from Sue's comment I wasn't getting the full effect as I use Firefox as a browser too. In IE looks quite small - especially the writing in the side panels. Interesting idea though......

Anonymous said...

Don't like the font - find it hard to read. Puts me off reading the interesting bits on your site.

Don't really mean I don't like it - wish my handwriting was as neat! Just that there's a bit too much of it.

Hope this is helpful