Sunday, April 08, 2007

Why I'm standing

I'm standing because I believe that Orkney needs a dynamic forward-thinking council to tackle current and future issues, and to fight for a fairer deal for Orkney and against loss of control of more of our services through centralisation.

As my entire career has focussed on problem solving and project management I feel I can offer new and well reasoned thinking, and a wide breadth of relevant experience particularly with regard to economic development.

Equally, as a public-spirited resident of Kirkwall I am concerned about the local issues such as schools, traffic, facilities for young people, personal care, and the Shore Street oil tanks,and keen to vigorously represent the interests and opinions of all the people who live here.

My long term willingness to get involved is demonstrated by my participation on the Papdale School Board over the last 6 years, and the Kirkwall Community Council and Orkney College Management Council for the last 4 years.

The change in payments for councillors now makes it possible for younger economically active people (such as myself!) to participate in the council, and make it more genuinely representative of the electorate. Whilst this enables me to stand it is unlikely to cover the reduction in income from scaling back my business involvement if I am elected. But that's OK, I'm not motivated by thinking this might be a nice hobby or might supplement my income. I am motivated by wanting to do a good job for the people of Kirkwall and Orkney,and for that job to be interesting- in a good way!

I’m grateful to live here, and I want to do all I can to make sure it’s a great place for my son to grow up in, and for me and mine to grow old and retire in.

No comments: